Another public bus has caught fire in central Sydney, just three months after the bus drivers’ union called for NSW’s Transport Minister to be sacked over fire dangers on buses.
Firefighters said nobody was injured when the engine on the route 440 bus caught fire on George Street near Central Station about 9:00pm on Thursday night.
It is believed the fire started in the bus’s engine bay.
In September, The Rail, Tram and Bus Union called on Transport Minister Andrew Constance to resign after a bus caught fire on the Sydney Harbour Bridge.
At the time, union divisional secretary Chris Preston said the fire could have been avoided, but the Government had been too slow with the rollout of fire suppression systems across the state’s bus fleet.
He said there had been 40 fires on public and private buses in NSW in the 12 months before the Sydney Harbour Bridge fire.
“Buses do catch alight. If they have fire suppressions fitted to them, they will not catch alight,” Mr Preston said in September.
“It’s a device that’s filled with fire retardant material that has nozzles all over the engine and when the engine gets too hot … it will automatically release the fire retardant material over the engine, stopping the fire from occurring.
“All buses run very, very hot, and there can be multiple reasons why a fire will start in the engine bay.”
Mr Constance said at the time that more than 1,000 buses had been retrofitted with fire suppression systems, and the remaining 265 buses would be completed by the end of the year.
It is not known whether a fire suppression system had been fitted to the bus that caught fire on Thursday.
George Street has since reopened.